Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mason Jar Salads

I know these have become very popular on Pinterest and I have to admit I was a little skeptical on how well they would stand up after a few days. There's nothing more I hate than wilted lettuce! Much like the Mason Jar Fruit Salad I make these every Sunday after the grocery store trip and before I get distracted by something else! I make 10 at a time (5 for me and 5 for my husband) this way I am much more likely to actually BRING my lumch with me to work, instead of just thinking about it.

They are super easy to assemble first start off with your dressing of choice at the bottom, and then start stacking your salad. You want to choose something that doesn't wilt easily, I usually start with celery, carrot chips, or broccoli. After all the toppings are layered on, you want to press down and make sure everything is packed well inside the jar. Lastly put your lettuce in the jar and press firmly to get as much air out in fit as much lettuce in the jar as possible.

FYI make sure that your produce is washed but DRY! Any extra moisture in the jar will cause everything to get wilted and slimy and you definitely do not want that!

I also like to throw some chicken in the CrockPot and shred it to throw on top of the salads, for some added protein. Just for the record I don't put the chicken in the jar but in a baggie on the side!
 Here's my stack of salad jars!



No comments:

Post a Comment